original schoolhouse was very important to the village of Grandes-Piles. Many
a resident of the village to this day has fond memories of being
a student here.
Originally built in the late 1880’s,
only the west side of the house existed. Eventually, the
east extension was added in 1924, and the sisters of the Assumption
moved in and the building became a convent. They became the
teachers, and classes were were held in the original schoolhouse.
The building has also been home to a general
store, and up until it was purchased by the current owner, was
divided up as private apartments.